#RIPMugabe: Ex-President's Final Days and Wish

Harare - During Robert Mugabe's last days, he spoke to his family. He had plans to return home, meet with Emmerson Mnangagwa, the man who took over his throne. 

But all his intentions were in vain.

“He died very peacefully. Not many people speak as they’re dying, it’s not what happens. Not many people speak as they’re dying, it’s not what happens. Not many people speak as they’re dying, it’s not what happens.

“You know, as everybody ages, they naturally have afflictions that come with age. Normal afflictions of age. So it wasn’t anything abnormal,” said Adam Molai, husband to Grace Mugabe's sister.

In Singapore, at Gleneagles Hospital, plans are ahead to bring the former president back home, after being unanimously being bestowed national hero status. Mugabe passed on around 4am, after having shown sings of improvement earlier during the week. 

“Last Saturday, I got a call from Amai Mugabe and she said that the former President had been admitted to hospital. We again spoke on Sunday and she said there was not much change. 
Robert Mugabe Last Days 

We spoke earlier in the week and she said that his condition had improved. However, on Wednesday night, she said there had been a significant deterioration in his condition.

“That day, she spoke in an agonised voice and I did the best I could to comfort her. I spoke to her again on Thursday, in the morning and in the evening and she said the situation was really bad. 

When I woke up at around 4am on Friday morning, I saw a missed WhatsApp call from the former First Lady and I immediately sensed that something was wrong. Ever since we had communicated, she had not called around that time.

“Upon returning the call, she conveyed the sad news that the former President had passed on. She broke down and it was painful hearing her voice from the other side of the phone,” a government insider said.

Grace Mugabe had told her that Mugabe passed on “between two to three minutes” after the missed call. He later called Mnangagwa, who was in Cape Town. 

“The former President hoped he was going to come back home and that he wished to see the former President upon his return. We had told him that the President looked forward to seeing him upon his return and he had also expressed similar sentiments that he would be delighted to meet the President.

“And at that time, we were told that the last date of his medical engagements was the 17th of October and that soon after he would return home. A week after our return, I then got a call from Mrs Mugabe and she said that the treatment regime that the former President was having would no longer be extended to October,” he revealed. 

The body of the founding President of Zimbabwe is expected to be received at the Robert Gabriel Mugabe International Airport by President Mnangagwa and other family members.


Post a Comment